Master Corporal Spencer Barnes
· Enrolled in First Battalion, The Royal Newfoundland Regiment on 27 January 1990.
· After basic training (which was then called GMT/BTT), took part in MILCON 90.
· Trained as a Vehicle Operator in spring 1993
· Machine Gunner in summer 1993
· Communicator in summer 1995.
· Completed the Army Junior Leader (Infantry) course in summer 1999.
· Promoted to Corporal in spring 1993, and
· appointed Master Corporal fall 1999.
· Employed as a rifleman with A Company from Sept 1990 to Dec 1994,
· Battalion Canteen Manager from Dec 1994 to Sept 1996,
· Section 2ic or Section Commander with A Company from Sept 1996 to Aug 1999.
· Section 2ic / Instructor with B Company since Sept 1999.
· Participated in training exercises in various parts of Canada and the United States
· Employed as Section 2ic for Operation Recuperation
· Graduated from the College of Trades and Technology June 1979 with a Diploma of Applied Arts in Accounting.
· Graduated from Memorial University of Newfoundland in May 1988 with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.
· Married August 1988, 2 sons ages 8 and 5.
· Employed since May 1988 by the Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland as a Computer Systems Specialist.
Why should you join the Royal Newfoundland Regiment?
1. The pay is better than most entry-level part time jobs.
2. Youll meet the 180 best friends youll ever have.
3. Youll learn how you measure up as a person and a citizen.
4. Youll have the opportunity to travel and learn a variety of useful skills.
5. Youll make a contribution to the life of our Province and Country.
6. Youll be part of a Living Memorial to the Newfoundlanders whose sacrifices made our Province and Country possible.
Come learn the reason our motto is Better than the best.